etsy

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Whiz Kids - s/t

Whiz Kids - s/t



Kasaba KSB 200, USA, 1974

A nice obscurity I bought off ebay last year. The Whiz Kids were a duo from Michigan who released their only album on their own Kasaba label in 1974. Often described as progressive or even prog-psych by dealers, the music is better described as fairly commercial rock with poppy elements and the very occasional nod to progressiveism via synth. While enjoyable, I think the music would have definitely benefited from the addition of full guitar.
Of the nine songs presented here seven are originals and two are covers - 'Long Time Gone' by Crosby, Stills & Nash and '(Ride My) Chevrolet' by ZZ top.



I am also aware of one single 'Take' b/w 'Big Cigar Blues' (Kasaba KSB 101) which was released in 1971 and apparently features Cub Koda on guitar. These songs don't appear on this album and I have never heard them, so I don't know to what extent the guitar is used or if the style of music is in keeping with the album. It is interesting to note that the label of the single, pictured below, states that it was recorded in Canada.



Side 1 - 1. Tear The Walls Down (2:20) 2. Six Months (2:15) 3. Judas (3:25) 4. Long Time Gone (4:31) 5. Time To Lose (2:20)
Side 2 - 1. Start All Over Again (2:51) 2. (Ride My) Chevrolet (2:38) 3. I'm Leavin' (5:40) 4. Poison (4:38)

Pat McCaffrey-keyboards/horns/bass pedals/vocals/guitar; Ken Michalik-percussion/vocals

Recorded at Glen Arbor Roller Mills and Pampa Studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment